Benet House Retreat Center
Benet House Retreat Center at St. Mary Monastery
- Lectio Divina (Virtual) : Lectio is the foundation for Benedictine prayer. Slow sacred reading of Scriptures,
poetry, nature, and art; the Word of God comes to us in many forms. With contemplative reading, listening,
and seeing, we can learn to recognize the Divine Presence in all things. Facilitator: Linda Clewell, SMM
Oblate; Weekly on Tuesdays: Sept: 6, 13, 20, and 27. 9-10 am; Fee: Free will offering.
- Nouwen Reading Group (Virtual) : Henri Nouwen and his writings have been a spiritual inspiration for over
50 years. His insights continue to touch our lives today as when he published his first book. This monthly
group not only reads Henri’s books, but discovers the person he was and the friends who influenced
him. Materials from the Henri Nouwen Society will be used for our reading. Videos/presentations also used.
Leaders: Sr. Bobbi Bussan, OSB and Lorene Knobbe. 1 st Tuesdays (except Oct.): Sept. 6, Oct. 11, Nov. 1 and
Dec. 6; 1:30-3 pm; Fee: $15/session or $50 for all plus cost of books.
- Break-a-Way Prayer Quiet Day (Onsite) : We will meet at 9 am for opening prayer and reflection (optional).
Wed. Sept. 7; Leader: Lorene Knobbe, Benet House Program Asst. Fee: $15; $25 with lunch.
- Centering Prayer (Virtual) : Facilitator: Linda Clewell, SMM Oblate; Weekly on Wednesdays: Sept: 7, 14,
21, and 28. 1-2 pm; Fee: Free will offering.
- The Psalms: Prayers for All Life’s Experiences (Virtual) : The Psalms are the heart of Benedictine prayer. They
express a variety of life experiences including pain, anguish, joy, and praise. This monthly group shares
personal reflections on the Psalms, unpacks the meaning of the Psalms and discovers new ways of applying
the Psalms to everyday life. Leader: Sr. Bobbi Bussan, OSB. 2 nd Thursdays: Sept. 8, Oct. 13, and Nov. 10,
2022; Jan. 12, Feb. 9, Mar. 9, Apr. 13, May 11, and Jun. 8, 2023; 9:30-11 am; Fee: $15/mo.
- Haiku: Spiritual Writing in Three Lines (Onsite) : Haiku, a style of ancient Japanese poetry, is a spiritual
practice of paying attention to small things and honoring an insight to the sacredness of everyday life.
Participants will practice writing haiku, a sound structure of three lines (5-7-5 syllable count), and then
broaden it to see how a simple experience awakens the heart to a broader truth. No writing experience is
necessary. Bring an open heart, an attentive mind, and a playful spirit. Retreat Leader: Elaine Olson. Thurs.
Sept. 8, 6:30-8 pm; Fee: $20, both onsite and virtual.
- Word Among Us (Onsite): Read, reflect, pray, and share with other committed Christians seeking to grow
through the challenges of Scripture in everyday life. Using Word Among Us, participants are encouraged to
read and reflect on a Scripture passage each day. Facilitator: Sr. Mary Schmidt, OSB. 2 nd and 4 th Mondays at
Benet House; Sept. 12 and 26; 1-2:30 pm; Fee: $50 series/semester. Participants order their own
subscription to Word Among Us.
- Spirituality and Poetry (Virtual): Looking for ways to enrich your spirit writing poetry? All skill levels are
welcome to join in the monthly ‘mini-retreat’ focused on connecting with the Divine through poetry. Lisa will
facilitate your learning, enhance your skills, or help you learn to write poetry for the first time. Prayer and
poetry are rich companions for Seeking God and a beautiful way to deepen your love of God. Retreat Leader:
Lisa Breger. 3 rd Thursdays; First session: Sept. 15; 9-11 am; Fee: $25.
- Wisdom Women (Virtual): Wisdom is the essence of the Divine within each of us. Each month we nurture
our inner wisdom by reflecting and discussing Wisdom in Scripture, Wisdom Women in the Bible and
throughout history, and Wisdom Women today. Articles, books, videos, and music will inspire our discussion.
Retreat Leaders: Sr. Bobbi Bussan, OSB and Lorene Knobbe. 3 rd Thursdays (except Sept. when there’s a conflict): Sept. 22, Oct. 20, and Nov. 17, 2022; Jan. 19, Feb. 16, Mar. 16, Apr. 20, and May 18, 2023; 11:30
am-1 pm; Fee: $15/month plus cost of books.
- The Thomas Merton Group (Virtual) :From his becoming a Catholic until his untimely death in 1968, Thomas
Merton shared his evolving understanding of the vital issues of the world and the richness of different
spiritualities. Merton wrote over sixty other books and hundreds of poems and articles on topics ranging from
monastic spirituality to civil rights, nonviolence, and the nuclear arms race. Join Sr. Bobbi and others in
learning about Merton’s life and writings. Benet House is a member of the International Merton Society.
Retreat Leader: Sr. Bobbi Bussan, OSB. 3 rd Mondays: Sept. 19, Oct. 17, Nov. 21, and Dec. 19, 2022; Jan. 16,
Feb. 20, Mar. 20, Apr. 17, and May 15, 2023; 6:30-8 pm; Fee: $15/month plus cost of books.
- Story and Spirit (Virtual and Onsite): This 6-session series deals with religious themes in literature. Books
chosen are designed to get you thinking and defining what you believe and what you value. Presenter:
Professor Mary Bruce. Dates: Thursdays: Sept. 22-The Screwtape Letters (Lewis); Sept. 29-Crime and
Punishment (Dostoevsky); Oct. 6-Night (Weisel); Oct. 13-Siddhartha (Hesse); Oct. 20-The Quiet American
(Greene); Oct. 27-Deep River (Endo). Time: 9:30-11:30 am; Fee: $15/session. Books purchased on your
For more information: Sr. Jackie Walsh, OSB