Benet House Retreat Center
Benet House Retreat Center at St. Mary Monastery
Due to Covid-19, Benet House Retreat Center remains closed. We have developed several virtual retreats to provide spiritual and prayerful opportunities during this difficult time. These virtual sessions are held via Zoom. Once registered, you will receive a link to join the retreat and access to materials. For payments, checks may be made payable to the Sisters of St. Benedict or you may call Sr. Jackie Walsh at 309-283-2108 to provide credit card information.
- Lectio Divina: Sacred reading of Scripture, poetry, nature, and art: Through contemplative reading, listening, and seeing, we can learn to recognize the Divine Presence in all things. Retreat Leader: Linda Clewell, SMM Oblate. Tuesdays: May 4, 11, 18 and 25; 9-10 am; Fee: Free will offering.
- Henri Nouwen Reading Group: If you find Henri Nouwen’s books help strengthen your Christian faith and draw closer to the heart of God, you are not alone! Materials from the Henri Nouwen Societywill be used to enhance our reading. We are committed to reading all Henri’s books. 1st Tuesday each month. Next session: May 4; 1:30-3 pm; Leaders: Sr. Bobbi Bussan, OSB and Linda Clewell, SMM Oblate. Fee: $15/session; purchase own book.
- Break-a-way: Day of Prayer and Quiet: Take time out from your busy! Join the Benedictine Sisters on their monthly Quiet Prayer Day. Opening prayer and ‘Mindful Moments’ reflections. May theme is Peace. Wed. May 5; 9 am-Opening Reflection; 1 pm-Centering Prayer (Optional); 3:30-Closing Prayer (Optional). Retreat Leaders: Benet House Program Committee. Fee: Free will offering.
- Centering Prayer: Leader: Linda Clewell, SMM Oblate. Wednesdays: May 5, 12, 19 and 26; 1-2 pm; Free will offering.
- Word Among Us: Retreat Leader: Sr. Charlotte Sonneville, OSB. Sept. through May; Next sessions May 10 and 24; 1-2:30 pm; Fee: $50 series, plus cost of subscription to Word Among Us Publication.
- The Psalms: Prayers for All Life’s Experiences: The Book of Psalms is the heart of Benedictine prayer. The Psalms express a variety of life experience’s including pain, anguish, joy, and praise. Retreat Leader: Sr. Bobbi Bussan, OSB. 2nd Thursday of each month July 2020-June 2021. Next session: May 13; 9:30-11:30 am; Fee: $15session.
- Compassion and Creation: A Celebration of New Life: Sr. Bobbi leads this opportunity not only to celebrate creation, but also to consider how our earth is suffering and in need of our loving, compassionate presence. Based on the teachings of Sr. Joyce Rupp, retreatants will learn practical actions to embrace the earth. Presenter: Sr. Bobbi Bussan, OSB (Certified Boundless Compassion Facilitator). Time: Saturday, May 15: 9-11:30 am; and 1:30-4 pm; Fee: $40.
- Thomas Merton Group: Join Sister Bobbi and others in learning more about Merton’s life and writings. Retreat Leader: Sister Bobbi Bussan, OSB. 3rd Mondays. Next Session: May 17, 6:30-8 pm; $15 session. Books may be an additional cost.
- Spirituality and Poetry: Looking for ways to enrich your spirit with writing poetry? All skill levels are welcome to join in the monthly ‘mini-retreat’ focused on connecting with the Divine through poetry. Lisa will facilitate your learning poetry, enhancing your skills or learning to write poetry for the first time. Prayer and poetry are rich companions for Seeking God and a beautiful way to deepen your love of God. Retreat Leader: Lisa Breger. 3rd Thursday each month. Next session: Thurs. May 20, 9-11 am; Fee: $25.
- Wisdom Women Series: Rejoice in and Discover Our Wisdom: Join this new group! We will nurture our Wisdom by reflecting on and discussing Wisdom in Scripture; Wisdom Women in the Bible and throughout history; Wisdom Women today and our Wisdom. Articles, books, videos, and music will inspire our discussion. 3rd Thursday each month. Next session: Thurs. May 20, 11-12:30 pm; Leader: Sr. Bobbi Bussan, OSB. Fee: Whatever donation you would like to make.
For more information and pricing:
BENET HOUSE RETREAT CENTER/ST. MARY MONASTERY, ROCK ISLAND, IL